Friday, May 14, 2010

Swimming with the Endorphins

 I decided to do some reading about how to raise my endorphins.  My post yesterday was epiphany of why I was overweight.  After watching Oprah - I realize that my weight problem is caused by my great consumption of chocolate, candy and cake. (which I knew already - I just didn't know why)  I have been using them to replace love or sex in my life. 

Serotonin and endorphins are natural neurotransmitters that can improve mood, dampen pain, and regulate sleep. High levels of stress and inactivity can reduce overall levels of these chemicals. Promoting the release of endorphins or serotonin is generally accomplished by a positive stimulus,

Last night I was reading Body and Soul Magazine and they said raise those endorphins. "Part of why we eat is to get rid of bad feelings, and pleaures can counteract that."  The article suggested natural highs from exercise, hobbies, listening to music you love, dance around, take a class, eat spicy foods, do something thrilling, and laugh.  These are all some things I go do instead of eating chocolate.

In surfing the web today I found out some other things that can raise endorphins or serotonin such as meditation, massage, sunlight and acupuncture.

Sex and chocolate, of course, both raise endorphins, but since I am in a relationship but there is no longer sex I turned to chocolate, I didn't realize it until now.  So next time I want a candy bar you might see me taking a walk in the sunshine listening to my ipod while messaging my head and eating a jalepeno...laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment